5-year Jayden Espinosa is being called a hero after saving 13 people from an early-morning fire in his aunt’s apartment in Chicago.
Early Saturday morning a fire broke out in the apartment but the smoke detectors malfunctioned and didn’t alert the sleeping residents. Jayden, woke up early while everyone else in the house was still sleeping and smelled smoke.
“I smelled the smoke and I got up and went outside,” Jayden told Fox 32 Chicago about the incident. “Auntie’s house was burning… I was scared!”
Despite being scared, Jayden ran to wake up and alert the rest of his family. He also alerted his aunt’s neighbors who live on the lower floor of the duplex.
When asked how he knew what to do at that time, he said, “Because I’m smart and brilliant.”
Firefighters said 7 adults and 6 children, including Jayden, got out safely. But the fire destroyed all of the family’s belongings.
The American Red Cross has stepped in to support Jayden’s aunt and cousins. A GoFundMe has also been set up to help them “get back on their feet.”