Police defend releasing man who is accused of shooting ex-NFL star Joe McKnight

ronald-gasserjoe-mcknight

Louisiana sheriff, Newell Normand, confirmed that investigators released the man who admitted he shot ex-NFL running back, Joe McKnight in a road rage incident that left the athlete dead.

The Jefferson Parish Sheriff, told reporters he was confident the suspect, 54-year-old Ronald Gasser, was “not going anywhere. He has been completely cooperative.”

Joe McKnight, a star running back at USC, who played four seasons in the NFL, did not have a gun in his possession when he was shot and killed by Gasser.

The men had been arguing about a traffic incident outside New Orleans on Thursday. The sheriff said there were no indications the shooting was a hate crime. “Everyone wants to make this about race. This is not about race.”

Coroner Gerry Cvitanovich said that despite witness accounts, bullet trajectories suggested it was unlikely Gasser was standing over McKnight during the shooting.

According to eyewitnesses at the scene, a man in an Infiniti sedan pulled McKnight, 28, from his Audi and shot him more than once after an argument. Witnesses said the shooter then waited for police to show up.

Sheriff Normand added that Gasser turned in his weapon to officers before they took him into custody and questioned him. He was released some time overnight and no charges were filed “as of yet,” The Advocate reported.

 

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *