Black Main Street

Protests After Police Shoot Man Shoot Black Man in the Back During Traffic Stop

According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, a man died during surgery after being shot by Atlanta Police during a traffic stop late Friday night.

The man was identified by GBI Saturday morning as 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks.

A preliminary report from the GBI says that officers were dispatched to a Wendys restaurant at about 10:33 p.m. in response to a report of a male parked in the drive-thru. According to the report, the man was in the car sleeping and the car was stopped in the drive-thru area, causing other vehicles to drive around it.  

GBI’s report says officers arrived at the scene and administered a field sobriety test on Brooks. After he failed the test, they attempted to take him into custody.

They said Brooks resisted the attempted arrest and a struggle began. The officers pulled out a Taser and according to witnesses, Brooks grabbed the Taser from the officer.

According to Atlanta Assistant Police Chief Timothy Peek, a second officer attempted to tase Brooks. During the struggle Brooks broke free from police and ran away, he was shot by at least one of the officers.

A cellphone video of the encounter doesn’t show the shooting of Brooks as he is chased off camera by the police, however it appears he may have been shot while he was running away from police.

In the video, Brooks can be seen on the ground struggling with the two officers before getting up and running off. One of the officers deployed his Taser at Brown while running after him. 

A moment later, multiple gunshots can be heard. The cellphone video turns and Brooks can be seen on the ground.

Brooks was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he died after surgery, according to the GBI report.

A crowd gathered at the scene to protest the officer-involved shooting off of University Avenue near I-75/85 in southwest Atlanta.

Following the incident, the two officers involved in the shooting were removed from duty pending the outcome of the investigation. 

Atlanta District 3 City Councilman Antonio Brown was at the scene during a portion of the investigation. 

Brown told 11Alive News that he had spoken to Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields about the shooting and how it had occurred.

Brown says that Chief Shields told him that Brown had been shot in the back and the buttocks.

Following the incident, the Georgia NAACP tweeted an immediate call for Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms to relieve Chief Shields of duty. 

@KeishaBottoms, @Atlanta_Police needs a serious overhaul. The continuation of these kinds of actions require immediate resolution. Instead of seeing an improvement, it continues to happen day after day. Chief Shields must be relieved immediately.”

The organization has also started a petition seeking the removal of Chief Shields from office.

The Georgia NAACP goes on to say that the bodycam footage from the officers involved along with all surveillance video from surrounding buildings should be released immediately. 

The GBI will continue its independent investigation of the incident. Once completed, the case will be turned over to the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office for review.

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.