Black Main Street

Protests Erupt In Minnesota Over The Police Shooting of Daunte Wright

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets Sunday night to demand justice for the shooting death of 20-year-old Daunte Wright.

Daunte was shot and killed by police during a traffic stop Sunday afternoon in the Minneapolis suburb of Brooklyn Center.

Daunte’s mother told reporters her son called her when he was beign pulled over and told her the police pulled him over because of the air fresheners hanging from his car’s rearview mirror.

“My son was 20 years old… he got pulled over for having air fresheners in the car that I just gave him. All he did was have air fresheners in the car and they told him to get out of the car,” she told reporters.

“He got out of the car, and his girlfriend said they shot him,” she added. “He got back in the car, and he drove away and crashed and now he’s dead on the ground since 1:47.”

“Nobody will tell us anything. Nobody will talk to us … I asked them to please take my son off the ground, he’s been there since 1:47 this afternoon.”

According to Brooklyn Center police, officers pulled Duante’s vehicle over for a traffic violation around 2 p.m. on Sunday.

Police said they tried to arrest Daunte after they determined he had an outstanding warrant, however he got back in his vehicle.

“One officer discharged their firearm, striking the driver,” police said in a press release. “The vehicle traveled several blocks before striking into another vehicle.”

The young man was pronounced dead at the scene, despite efforts by emergency crews to save him, the statement added. A female passenger in the vehicle also sustained injuries that were not life-threatening during the crash, police said.

By Sunday evening, protesters had gathered in the streets at the site of the shooting.

At around 10 p.m, dozens of police officers in riot gear created a protective barrier outside of the Brooklyn Center Police headquarters. Police fired several rounds of tear gas or chemical irritant into the crowd.

Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliot announced he was implemented a city-wide curfew until 6 a.m. Monday as protests escalated on Sunday night.

“The officer shooting in Brooklyn Center today is tragic. We are asking the protesters to continue to be peaceful and that peaceful protesters are not dealt with with force,” Elliot tweeted.

Police said Brooklyn Center officers wear body-worn cameras, and they believe both body-worn cameras and dash cameras were activated during the incident.

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.